Melatonin is a hormone produced by the pineal gland which serves to synchronize and coordinate biological functions of the body. This hormone appears in foods in only trace amounts and, therefore, supplementation supports the natural functioning of the pineal gland. Melatonin is important in regulating sleep, circadian rhythm and the body's natural time clock. Melatonin is also an important antioxidant, rapidly taken up by the brain, which acts as an effective scavenger of highly toxic free radicals that induce DNA damage. The amount of melatonin produced by our bodies seems to decrease with age.
Due to melatonin's relatively short half-life in the body, a sustained release formula may be more suitable for those who experience difficulty staying asleep through the night.
- Melatonin - hormone whose main role is in the control of the circadian (day/night) rhythms. Its production should peak at night and is instrumental for maintaining quality sleep patterns. Melatonin production declines significantly with age, often causing sleep difficulties associated with age.
- 5-HTP - Precursor to serotonin; supports further melatonin production during the night to help with staying asleep
- Vitamin B6 - When using 5-HTP for enhancing serotonin and melatonin production to promote healthy mood and sleep, the addition of pyridoxal-5-phosphate, an activated form of vitamin B6, helps to catalyze the conversion of 5-HTP to serotonin (5-HT)
- Inositol - Supports overall relaxation and helps maintain the proper metabolism of serotonin
- L-Theanine - Supports calming neurotransmitter production; helps reduce stress and improve the quality of sleep
Serving Size: 1 tablet
Servings Per Container: 60